Friday, September 18, 2015

JUICE RECIPES


Today I thought I would share with your some of my go-to combinations for juicing at home. I usually make two different juices in the morning: one as a part of my breakfast and one for later in the day to take to-go. I have a plastic "water bottle" (I say water bottle because it looks exactly like a bottle of Aquifina, even has a blue rubber label) that unscrews in half and I can fit 300mL in, it's easy to clean, has a perfect seal, etc., but any bottle or jar that is air tight will keep the juice for the day.

I feel like I just have more energy when I drink juice and it's so quick and easy. Overall I feel better and it's noticeable if for whatever reason I miss a day - that's why I try and drink juice every day. Plus juicing is a good way of cycling through the fruits and vegetables in your fridge and getting around to eating them before it's too late. And believe me a juicer is not hard to clean, forget about that excuse and if you have ever used that excuse yourself, shame on you.

I know a lot of people with juicers and it's surprising how different each person makes their own juice. Really the options are endless and the littlest adjustment can take your juice in a whole new direction. I love it when someone finds something delicious and passes the tip along. Especially since, while the options are endless, I find myself often making the same thing or something very similar more than I probably should. So I thought I would share the recipes I make the most; give you some ideas, maybe help out whoever is starting out or whoever is getting bored of the same-old.  

•Green
3 stalks of celery 
3 huge handfuls of spinach
About 1.5 cups worth of zucchini (sometimes I use cucumber or both)
1 pear (or apple)
1 wedge of lime (I squeeze into juice) 

•Green 2 
2 stalks of celery
1 huge handful of spinach 
3 romaine leaves
1 kale leaf 
4 radishes 
1 apple 
1 mini zucchini 
A handful of parsley
1 wedge of lime

•Classic Carrot-Beet 
4 carrots
2 beets
1 apple 

•Carrot-Citrus
3 carrots 
1 grapefruit (or orange)
1 wedge of lime

•Carrott-Ginger 
5 carrots 
1 apple
2 stalks of celery 
Ginger (about the size of a gumball)

•Pink
1.5 carrots
1 stalk of celery
3 cups of cranberries (or cherries) 
1 pear (or a combination of pear and apple)
1 clementine 
1 wedge of lime 

•Berry
A cup of blackberries
2 cups of crainberries
4 strawberries 
A pear
1 cup of cucumber 
A wedge of lime

•Sweet+Refreshing 
Half a cucumber 
1 handful of mint
2 cups of pineapple (or watermelon or honeydew)
1 wedge of lime

Since I make more than one juice at a time, I usually mix apples and pears, oranges and grapefruits, etc. And if I'm making my lunch at the same time, I may add the scraps or a bit of whatever is out. I always keep lime, celery, spinach, cucumber, zucchini, carrots, apples/pears, beets, grapefruit, and oranges/clementines in the fridge as my basics because they are cheap and keep well. 

I'll juice almost anything, exceptions being bell peppers and tomatoes for taste and red leafy "greens" because they make juice look brown. I hate to make an all fruit juice, I feel a veggie or two is needed or it's too sweet (with the exception of melons, I love an all melon juice!). I juice spinach, kale and carrots a lot because I don't normally crave to eat them so rarely do and that way I have a better variety of foods in my diet. 

I think it's important to eat for health more than taste and sometimes I'm not sure if I love something because it's healthy or tastes good; but I mean, who cares, healthy tastes good to me. I love veggies and that's not harmful! My husband is the opposite, I swear he dislikes things only because they are healthy (it's really fruits and vegetables he won't eat) and he would like all of these recipes enough to pretend they're ok/delicious except the Green 2. The juices I make most are Green 2, Green, and Classic Carrot-Beet and the juice my husband genuinely loves is Sweet+Refreshing.


I hope this was helpful and let me know what your favourite juice is and if you have any tips or whatnot for me to try! 

BY: SARAH MELNYK

2 comments:

  1. Oooooh the Pink sounds delicious, I'm going to have to try it! Thanks for sharing Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the juice recipes! totally delicious!!

    ReplyDelete